I was treated to this dotty silk-cotton blend fabric by my dear husband who is fully supportive of my sewing hobby and keeps hinting that I should make him a shirt! I found the fabric at Ditto Fabric during a long internet window shopping session.
I carefully considered pattern orientation. A quick decision was made when I saw Christmas trees in one direction but not the other.
The problems I encountered with the toile and any potential problems sewing this slippery fabric were easily overcome with some helpful tips from Jessica, Rachel and Angie (thank you!) and by practising sewing a few scraps of fabric first.
I made a fair few changes (which felt empowering!). I altered the back neckline from V to rounded and attached single fold bias binding made of the same fabric and turning to the inside – much easier. I shortened the sleeves slightly so that they no longer finish on the widest part of my arm or stick out. Adding an inch to the bodice helps the elastic to sit on my waist and I removed two inches from the skirt. I kept the line of the skirt clean and flowing by omitting the pockets. But my proudest achievement for this dress…
I planned ahead in order to match the coloured columns of dots on the front centre bodice panel with the skirt.