It took me at least ten minutes to work out which was the centre front seam of the free Amerson Undie pattern from Madalynne. Once I’d worked it out, I wrote it on the pattern pieces for future reference.
The stash delved fabric is leftover silk-cotton blend from my Ditto Dotty Dress. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough fabric left to match the print at the seams. I found sewing the elastic with zigzag stitch a bit tricky – I felt like I was wrestling with my sewing machine. There is visible improvement between the waist and first leg hole. Then I found a few online videos clips which helped me to work out where my hands should be and I realised that my error was I was holding the fabric and elastic up in the air instead of stretching the elastic then anchoring this to the fabric by pressing into the extension table and following the speed of the feed dogs through. The second leg hole has even stitching all the way round! I needed to master this technique for the swimsuit I’m making for Swimalong 2013.
On reflection, I won’t be putting the underwear shops out of business… but I might have a second go.