In my excitement about the April issue of Burda Style Magazine I committed to my ‘to sew’ list two versions of the #115 blouse. A day wear version to celebrate Spring (and a chance to road test the pattern) and an evening version.
I made plenty of alterations in an attempt to eradicate the boxy style but keep my favorite features – asymmetric overlapping front panels and a wide continuous hem. I removed another two inches from the back pattern piece, made some serious waist shaping front and back, narrowed the shoulders slightly, lowered the neckline a little, angled the bust darts a fraction and shortened the sleeves a lot. With the exception of the bust darts, these alterations were less about fit and more about achieving the silhouette I wanted for an evening look. And, just to demonstrate my attention to detail, I switched the diagonal of the outer most front piece to meet my lower shoulder… a trick of the eye to make my lopsided shoulders less obvious.
Knowing how the construction would pan out (I even trialled French seams for the Spring make), I had a clear path ahead which allowed me to focus on this tricky fabric. It’s the slippiest thing I’ve ever sewn. Given my recent love affair with lining everything with a vent, that accolade is saying something. I was also quite paranoid about it all stretching out of shape: with two front necklines, two front diagonals and a curved hem, there was ample potential for wonkiness. I went to work with the Vilene edge tape after cutting out each piece.
I am bowled over by the change from boxy to beautiful, now I have a blouse shape that works with my figure as well as ticking my style boxes. I know I nailed the vision I had in my head for this blouse too.
I just need to convince Mr CC to take me out for cocktails now that I have something suitable to wear to a trendy cocktail bar!