My sewing machine is still undergoing repair work… it’s too painful to discuss at the moment. I have already cut out my next make and completed some lingering hand-sewing repairs. Just one, I thought, might be interesting to share (I don’t want to bore you with the hand-sewn hem or replacement button guff).
When I made these trousers, I brushed the zip against the back of my hand to check for comfort. Scratchy bits are fairly common on invisible zips. It was absolutely fine so I went ahead without adding a fabric cover. In future I’ll be covering during construction (great tutorial here) because somehow, probably in the wash, the smooth plastic has come off and when I wore the trousers to work last week I was plagued by a scratchy something from the zip.
Taking remedial action I cut a square from the same fabric and pressed all four sides under. I hand stitched, just catching the seam allowance and zip tape not right through the trouser legs, to cover the naughty scratchyness.