Happy Mothers’ Day to all celebrating today.
Although this make is not for Mother’s Day, it seems right to publish a Mum-themed blog post today. Mum ordered the pattern after seeing it in Prima Magasine (July 2013 issue). The toile and fabric were a Christmas present with a promise to make any necessary alterations and sew it up on the fabric.
The toile sizing was a good guess, if I’d had measurements I’d have sewn that size for the toile anyway. When she tried it on, the sleeves were right off my Mum’s shoulders so I measured the excess fabric and made a note to narrow the shoulder. The other alteration, and I knew it’d have to be done, was a full bust adjustment. Mum and I are completely different shapes – I’m a pear, she’s an inverted triangle. Hence it doesn’t look so great on my dress form. Still, it was interesting to make pattern alterations that I don’t normally need just to learn new things.
Here is the front bodice piece after narrowing the shoulder. I remembered to lengthen the sleeves as Mum specifically mentioned that she liked where they finished on her arm and removing fabric from the shoulder would have raised this up.
The full bust adjustment was interesting. I realised after following the slash and widen/lower technique that all I really needed to do was widen the under bust gathering area like you would widen a dart. See, I knew I’d learn something new about pattern piece manipulation in the process.
The ties caused me to waste two hours trying to turn them. I searched and tried to make rouleux straps using all the techniques I read about online but couldn’t get them turned right side out. Not even using the turning tool that I inherited last year. In the end I double folded and stitched on the right side.
What I really enjoyed was sewing with cotton. It sews without puckering, presses how it’s told to, barely fays and has distinct right and wrong sides. It is dependable… just like Mum.