This fabric has a much bolder print than I would normally wear. I had circled ‘the man outside Sainsbury’s’ stall on Walthamstow market a few times selecting a red jersey and a grey marl jersey (both plain, staple fabrics that easily fit into a wardrobe). It was a particularly hot day and this fabric kept catching my eye. I asked him to add a few meters to my bag figuring that the worst case would be using it for a drapey toile/muslin.
The neon bias binding I tracked down on ebay. Despite selecting the colour via a computer screen, it turned out to be a pretty good match for the random neon green/yellow splotches on the fabric.
After making my first Southport dress, a maxi version leap frogged my sewing queue to meet an end of summer deadline. I removed some excess fabric from the skirt and bodice at the back and raised the neckline by half an inch. Other than that, the details for the pattern were the same as my previous make.
I had a long hard think about pattern placement. A large flower on my back, I am fine with but I really didn’t want one on the front bodice. Yet, on the front I had to do some pattern matching at the button placket or it would have looked too haphazard.
I’m still not sure it’s quite the right print for me but I’m willing to give it a few test wears before making a final decision whether to add it to the charity shop bag or not. As for the other purchases: the grey marl jersey is cut out and the red jersey it is awaiting blog photos.