I knew I could fit a short Southport dress out of 1.5m because I had only 1.1m when I made my first purple paisley one (so I have 40cm left for another project!). The changes I made to the pattern pieces for my neon maxi Southport were carried forward to this make.
The colours of the lawn are particularly autumnal to me so a transition dress that I could layer up with tights and a cardigan (and maybe a long sleeve tee underneath towards winter!) was the look I was going for.
The buttons were selected by my husband because I was being indecisive… “maybe these ones, but these ones are nice too and I like these but I think they’re too big” You know how it is. Anyway, I agree now that he made a good choice. They have a slight ombre effect so I was careful to sew them on so that the direction of the gradient was all the same.
When I finished the dress and placed it on Thelma, the autumn sun was beaming into my sewing room and I knew it was going to spend more time in the washing basket than the wardrobe!